To make it a balanced tasty meal, fried or Boiled plantain, Yam, corn or Sweet potato is often added. Beans is one of the best source of protein. it’s also rich in Fiber, high-quality carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals. These heart-healthy nutrients gotten from beans help lower cholesterol, triglycerides, and blood pressure, and they can reduce your risk of coronary artery disease, osteoporosis and diabetes.Beans porridge could be served with Bread, Fried/boiled Yam or plantain, Pap, Custard, or Soaked garri
P.S: Beans is associated with flatulence, indigestion and bloating in some people with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) so if you’ve got IBS you might want to limit beans in your diet.
- • 300g Brown/white Beans
- • 1 medium-sized Onion
- • 2 red scotch bonnet Pepper "Ata rodo"
- • 1 seasoning cube
- • 1 Cup palm oil
- • 2 tbsp. Crayfish - Optional
- • Salt to taste
- • 5 medium sized Corn on the curb
- Step 1: Separate the beans from the chaff, rinse and place in a pot. Add enough water just enough to cover the beans in the pot and add the chopped onion and pepper. Do not add salt at this stage. This is because salt tends to harden the beans even more.
- Step 2: Cook on medium heat till tender while adding water once in a while when you notice it drying up. It's always best to keep the water on the same level as the beans while cooking till it gets soft.
- Step 3: Once the beans is soft, add the Palm oil, Seasoning cube, Salt, and Crayfish. At this point, you can add your cut yam/ plantain or sweet potato (if you enjoy it better mixed with the beans otherwise, you can simply fry it separately and set it aside). Don't Stir - Cover and let it cook for about 15 mins more till the beans porridge turns soupy like in the picture below and the added yam/ plantain or sweet potato is done.
- Step 4: At this point, stir with a wooden spoon and add the corn. Leave to simmer on low heat for 5 minutes more. Serve with Fried yam, Fried plantain or Fried sweet potato if you didn't add any while cooking. Even if you did, you could also serve beans porridge with Bread, Pap (akamu/ogi) Custard, or soaked garri...Enjoy!!