The most widely used Nigerian variety has a white papery skin and pinkish-grey cloves. It Enhances the flavor of the food. Many home cooks mistakenly cook garlic immediately after chopping or crushing it and this reduces the health benefits. To maximize the health benefits, it’s best to allow the garlic to sit at room temperature for about 15mins in other to trigger the enzyme (Allicin) which boosts the health benefits of garlic.
– It protects the body against various cancers including breast, colon and prostate cancer
– It is an Antioxidant; it protects the heart and builds the immune system
– It has long been used as a remedy for Cold and flu, Coughs, diabetes, osteoarthritis, Asthma, bronchitis, shortness of breath, Hay fever, stomach ache, gout, headache, low blood pressure, low blood sugar, high blood sugar, Snakebites e.t.c
– It is used to treat fungal infections like ringworm and athlete’s foot.
– It is an Aphrodisiac; Tibetan monks were forbidden from entering the monasteries if they had eaten garlic since it stirs up passion due to its ability to increase circulation.
– It Reduces Cholesterol levels in the body.