Mints, Scientifically known as Mentha are aromatic perennial herbs which mostly grow best in wet environments and moist soils. They’re have culinary, aromatic and therapeutic uses and are considered invasive due to their tendency to spread unchecked. They can grow to 10–120 cm tall and can spread over an indeterminate area.
Types Of Mint
There are several species of mint such as; Spear mint, Apple Mint, Pepper mint. Some mints can be grown by seed, but growth from seed can be an highly variable and you might end up with nothing at all do its sterile nature. It is more effective to take and plant cuttings from the stems of healthy mints. Unlike some other plants, mint grows all year round.
Uses Of Mint
Mint is a popular herb that can be applied in many places in it’s fresh form or dried form. Some of its uses includes;
- Although fresh mint is usually preferred to dry mint, any type of mint would give you desired results. The fresh mint leaves have an aromatic, sweet flavor with a cool aftertaste and are used in making teas, gum, beverages, jellies, syrups, candies, and ice creams
- Jazz up your water by adding fresh mint and cucumber into it
- If you’re making cookies, you can add a few chopped mint leaves for extra flavor
- Mint oil and menthol extracted from Mint leaves are often used as flavorings in toothpastes, antiseptic mouth washes or breath fresheners, toothpastes and beauty products.
- Back in the old days, mint was used in traditional medicine to treat issues like stomach ache and chest pain.
Benefits of mint
Mint contains a compound known as rosmarinic acid. it’s antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties makes it effective in relieving seasonal allergy symptoms, revealing a promising natural treatment.
Relieves Common cold:
Want a natural relief from common cold? Try using Mint leaves taken raw or steeped in hot water as tea. this is because it contains a compound known as menthol, a natural aromatic decongestant that helps to break up mucus and phlegm in the pathways. It also has cooling effect and can help relieve a sore throat especially
Natural Anti-bacterial agent
Use mint if you need a natural breath fresher